Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Best Ever. No, Really.

I am a recipe junkie. I'm constantly printing recipes or tearing them from magazines. I eventually have so many that it's virtually impossible for me to make them all. So about twice a year I sit down and sort through them all, deciding which pile to put them in: keep or recycle. The following recipe is one I placed in the "keep" pile, and I'm so grateful I did! Originally from the July 2009 issue of Country Living magazine, the name of the recipe is "The Best Potato Salad Ever." A bold statement indeed. And naturally, I was a bit skeptical.

But as I sampled a forkful before putting it in the fridge, I was pleasantly surprised and very impressed. It was delicious, and one of the better potato salads I've tasted. And then when I sat down to eat it at dinner ... Yum! The flavors intensified and it was just delicious! Creamy, tangy, smooth, crunchy. It was the perfect contrast of flavors and texture.

With Memorial Day a little over two weeks away, you might want to add this to your menu. I know I'll be making it throughout the summer.

Best Potato Salad Ever
Adapted from Country Living magazine

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs. unpeeled red potatoes
  • 3/4 cup chopped vidala onion
  • 3/4 cup red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
  • 3 chopped, hard boiled eggs
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, cover red potatoes with salted cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until they're easily pierced with a skewer, about 40 minutes.

  2. Meanwhile, combine white onion, red pepper, dill pickles, and hard-boiled eggs in a large bowl.

  3. Drain potatoes and cut into half-inch pieces while still warm. Transfer to the bowl and sprinkle with dill pickle juice and cider vinegar. Toss salad gently with mayonnaise. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Chill before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment