Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Preserving Summer

Earlier this summer I had the pleasure of discovering sugar plums. About two weeks ago I discovered Italian prune plums at my farmer's market. And again, I found myself asking, "what to do with them?" Enter Martha Stewart. I was flipping through the August issue of her magazine and found a whole page dedicated to this fruit. There were three easy uses for the plums, and when I saw this easy jam recipe I knew I had to give it a try.

Of course there are the obvious uses for this jam, like on toast or crackers. But it would also be excellent on brie baked in crescent roll.

Easy Prune Plum Jam

Recipe from the August 2011 issue of Martha Stewart Living
Makes 3 cups


Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. prune plums, halved and pitted
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • pinch of salt

Directions:
  1. Bring plums, sugar, lime zest, lime juice, and salt to a boil in a pot, mashing plums with a potato masher.
  2. Cook, stirring often, until mixture has the consistency of thick honey.
  3. Remove skins using a fork.
  4. Let cool. Refrigerate until ready to use (up to 1 month).

Note: I halved this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment