So why enjoy the flavors of gingerbread during the holiday season only?
I know, I know. New year, new resolution to eat better, lose weight, etc. No room for cookies in the new year. But that's still no reason not to enjoy the flavors in another form.
And one of my favorite forms in pancakes. In the summer months I love to add fruit, in autumn I add pumpkin, and now for the winter months, I have a recipe for gingerbread pancakes to enjoy and savor.
Recipe from Taste of Home
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup apple pie filling, warmed
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine the egg, milk, molasses and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- To serve, place pancakes on plate; drizzle with maple syrup. Top with 1/4 cup apple pie filling; sprinkle with cranberries.
Note: I like to top my pancakes with my spiced cranberry sauce. A perfect combination of flavors!