Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sassy Salsa

Last weekend we had fish tacos for dinner. I had made them once before, with a mango salsa, and we really enjoyed them.

Well, almost everyone.

While the fish was delicious, flakey with a hint of spice, my husband wasn't really jazzed by the mango salsa I had made. He said it was too sweet for him. And as someone who loves spicy food, he said he would've preferred a spicy salsa over a sweet one.

So last weekend, while I had mango salsa on my fish tacos, I made a tomato salsa for my husband.

And it was a hit.

Not only did he heap the salsa onto his tacos, but he's been eating the leftover salsa with corn chips. I can only imagine how much of a hit it will be when I get the tomatoes fresh from the farmers' market. Perfect for summertime gatherings.

Homemade Fresh Salsa
Original Recipe from Country Cooking

Ingredients:

  • 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 small red onion, diced
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Combine ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes from the Chef:

  • I use a melon baller to seed the tomatoes. I find it's the least messy method.
  • I use a grapefruit spoon to seed the jalapeño pepper. Scrapes it out without getting any seeds on my hands.
  • If you like more heat in your salsa, swap out the jalapeño for a pepper with more heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment