Saturday, June 9, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Last month my son turned 4. (Where did the time go??) And of course the big question was, what kind of treat should we bring in to preschool? Sure, we could've just went out and bought something already made. The kids love Munchkins, so you can never really go wrong with them. Basic chocolate cupcakes are always a hit, too. But my son and I love to spend time in the kitchen together, so simple and basic just wasn't going to cut it.

Something else to consider is the state the kids would be in when their parents came to pick them up. Just the week before the kids had cupcakes for another child's birthday. The icing on these cupcakes was at least 2 inches and high, and the kids were experiencing quite a high themselves thanks to all that sugar. So I decided to look back to my own childhood, remembering my favorite treats. And one came to mind.

Black-Bottom Cups.

They're chocolate, small, and absolutely delicious. And they were a big hit. The kids loved them as much as I do, and my son's teacher even asked me for the recipe.

It was a happy birthday all around.

Black-Bottom Cups
Recipe from a childhood friend of Country Cooking
Makes at least 5 dozen mini cupcakes

Ingredients:

  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Follow directions on cake mix.
  3. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Line mini-muffin tins with papers.
  5. Fill 2/3 of tins with chocolate cake mix, and top each with 1 tsp. of cream cheese mixture.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment