Sunday, December 23, 2012

Chocolate Cookie Heaven

I love to bake. And I love to share what I bake with others. So for the holidays I give my son's teachers homemade cookies along with a gift card. And every year I pour over all of my recipes, deciding what to make.

This year I was met with a particular challenge: Everything needed to be ready for Friday, and I had a particularly busy week at work, which, unfortunately, was going to cut into my baking time. So I needed delicious and simple. No small feat.

In a Christmas recipe box I found a Betty Crocker recipe for "Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies." I read the recipe and it was easy enough, but I know not everyone is a fan of candy canes. (Crazy, but true.) So I decided to take inspiration from my Mint Chocolate Oreos and use mint Hersey kisses for this recipe, so the cookies would still have that mint flavor, but without the candy canes.

Success! These cookies are soft and chewy on the side. If you like texture, you might want to use candy canes. Crushed on top of these cookies, they'll add a crunchy contrast. But if you like mint without the canes, then this is the way to go.

Mint-Chocolate Chocolate Cookies
Recipe modified from Betty Crocker
Makes about 32 cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 bag Hershey's Mint Kisses

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir cake mix, oil, vanilla, and eggs until soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
  2. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Cook 1 minute. Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
  3. Unwrap 3/4 of Hershey's kisses and melt in a double-boiler. Stir as chocolate melts until mixture is smooth. Spread chocolate over cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment