Monday, January 27, 2014

Kid Cook Saturdays: Week #2

Last week, my son picked spaghetti and meatballs as the meal to make from his cookbook. The meatball recipe was for turkey meatballs. I tried to steer my son towards the meatballs I had growing up: pork, veal and beef. But my son wasn't having it, so turkey meatballs we made.


turkey meatballs, rolled by my son

My son liked the meatballs, and was very proud of himself. My husband and I were proud of him, too, but turkey meatballs aren't our thing. I found them to be a bit on the bland side, so I'm not going to bother sharing the recipe for them with you.

However, if you do have a young one in the kitchen with you, I highly suggest making meatballs together. It's one of the few things where your hands are the best tools for the job. Just roll up your sleeves and dig in. Perfect for little and big hands alike. And then there's the quality family time, making a meal together.

Priceless.

Quick Tomato Sauce

A Country Cooking Original Recipe
Enough for 1 lb. of spaghetti

Ingredients:

  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
  • 15-oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 6-oz. can tomato paste

Directions:

  1. If serving pasta with meatballs, brown meatballs in a 6-qt. Dutch oven. Once browned remove to a plate lined with paper towels.
  2. Add onion and garlic to drippings from meatballs. Saut&eaute; until translucent. Add red wine to deglaze pot. Reduce liquid.
  3. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Bring to a low simmer. Return meatballs to pan, if you have them
  4. Simmer sauce for 20 minutes.
  5. Serve with your favorite cut of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment