Friday, August 29, 2014

Tickled Pink

When I first started learning to cook, I would write out recipes on index or fancy recipe cards and keep them in cute boxes or in binders. Over time, this became a bit labor intensive, so I started just printing the recipes, putting them in sleeve protectors, and storing them all in your average binder from an office supply store.

So, given how much time my sons spends in the kitchen with me, it was no surprise when his aunt gave him a Yankees binder the first words from his mouth were, "I can keep all my recipes in here!"

And keep his recipes he did. We have bought kid-centric and parent magazines over the years, torn out recipes we could make together, and stored them in his binder in protective sleeves. So when summer rolled around, he flipped through and said, "Mommy, we need to make lemonade."

And so we did.

He essentially made this himself with my supervision, which gave him a great sense of accomplishment and pride. And it warmed my heart to see that smile beaming from his face.

So as summer comes to a close, tickle yourself pink with this delightful drink.

Pink Lemonade

Recipe from Yum for Kids
Serves 6

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 4-6 lemons
  • 4 cups cold water
  • 1 cup cranberry juice

Directions

  1. Add sugar and water into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved.
  2. Squeeze the juice out of the lemons using a juicer, or squeeze by hand, to produce approximately 1 cup of lemon juice.
  3. Add the cold water, lemon juice, cranberry juice and sugar water to a large pitcher. Refrigerate for approximately 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment