I have made many variations of this over the years with whatever vegetables I have handy, and always zucchini and tomatoes. I found this particular recipe in a book I was reading -- The Quilter's Kitchen by Jennifer Chiaverini -- and knew I had to give it a try. And put my own spin on it, too, of course!
Adapted from The Quilter's Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 4 small or 2 large zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, canned (with liquid) or fresh
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- grated parmesan
- Place a medium-size stockpot over medium-low heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the white wine. Let simmer until wine reduces by half.
- Add the beans and tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, 10 minutes if tomatoes are canned, and 20 minutes if fresh.
- Serve by itself or over rice, couscous, or a short pasta such as orzo or ditalini. Sprinkle cheese over each serving.