Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Summer Classic

Growing up my mom had ice pop molds from Tupperware. They were yellow and the base was a small dish, with a straw built in. So you could drink the part of your pop that melted, and it kept our hands from getting too sticky, too. We would make iced tea and lemonade pops throughout the summer. Ahhh ... such fond memories!

When I saw similar molds in the One Step Ahead catalog I knew I had to get them for my son so he could experience the same summer fun of my youth. Only, what kind of pops to make? Thankfully over the years I had saved several recipes clipped from various magazines. I decided to start with the recipe below.

Mandarin Orange Cream Pops
Recipe from Real Simple magazine
Makes 8 4-oz. pops


Ingredients:
  • 11-oz. can mandarin oranges
  • 2 cups softened vanilla ice cream or 1 cup ice cream and 1 cup orange sherbert
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Directions:
  1. Place oranges in blender and pulse to a puree.
  2. Add ice cream, sherbert (if using), and zest, and pulse until well blended.
  3. Spoon mixture into molds or paper cups. Cover and freeze until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment