Sunday, July 10, 2011

Say peas!

There are many vendors at my local farmer's market, but each week my first stop is to Gould's Farm's stand. Why, you ask? Before my son was born my husband and I would walk the market together, looking over all the wares. Gould's had shell peas one Saturday in late June. My husband is a big fan of peas and wanted to get some. I was skeptical, not being a fan of peas and having only seen either canned or frozen ones prepared, I wasn't really sure what to do with fresh ones. But Ann, the proprietor of Gould's, grabbed a shell, opened it up, and let me taste some fresh peas. That one taste was all it took. I was sold!

Now, you may be thinking, is it worth the effort to shell the peas myself when I can just buy canned or frozen ones at the supermarket? The answer is yes, it most definitely is! And if you don't like frozen or canned peas, I still urge you to give fresh ones a try. Other than in stews or pot pies, I am not a fan of peas either. Frozen ones always have a mushy texture to me, and canned ones taste like tin. But fresh? What a world of difference! They are worth the effort, so make the most of them during their short (4-week) season!

This is one of our favorite ways to make fresh peas:

Peas with Pancetta

Recipe from Cooking Light
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)


Ingredients:
  • 3 sliced pancetta, chopped (about 1 ounce)
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped white onion (We prefer vidalia onion.)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 cups shelled green peas
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, sauté 5 minutes or until crispy. Remove pancetta from pan, reserving drippings in pan.
  2. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender.
  3. Add peas, broth, sugar, and salt to pan. Simmer 5 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in pancetta and chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment