That stuffed tomato was too wonderful never to have again. I simply had to find a recipe and make them again! Only, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. There were many recipes out there, and I tried a few of them, but none of them were quite right. That is, until I found this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. It has exactly the flavors I was looking for! They key ingredient? Provolone cheese! The sharp, tanginess of the cheese is the perfect contrast to those sweet tomatoes Jersey has to offer. They make a wonderful side dish, perfect alongside steak or london broil.
Herb Stuffed Tomatoes
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
- 5 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated provolone
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut tomatoes in half horizontally. Use a small spoon -- a melon baller works great, too -- to gently hollow out the inside of the tomatoes, discarding seeds and reserving the pulp.
- Chop reserved pulp and put in a medium bowl. Add parsley, breadcrumbs, cheese, and pepper and gently mix to combine.
- Fill tomato halves with breadcrumb mixture and place in buttered casserole dish. Drizzle tops with olive oil.
- Bake until tips are browned, about 20 minutes.
And here is a picture of our table from that wonderful meal!