Man, those southerners certainly know food!
This is another wonderful recipe from the same issue of Southern Cooking & Lifestyles magazine. It does involve turning on the oven, but despite that is a wonderful summertime dessert. The citrus in both the cake and topping embodies the refreshing flavors I associate with the season.
Mandarin Cooler Cake
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 11-oz. can mandarin oranges with juice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 3-oz. package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 11-oz. can crushed pineapple with juice
- 8 oz. whipped topping, thawed
- Mix all cake ingredients at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Bake cake as directed in a 9x13 pan.
- Blend together topping ingredients in a big bowl.
- Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate until set.
Note: I've also used this recipe for cupcakes for easy transport to a party. They were a big hit.