Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pass the Carrots

I was never one for cooked carrots growing up. Every year at Thanksgiving my mom would make glazed carrots. Every year someone in the family would try to convince me to eat them, claiming they tasted like candy. Now, as a kid, who knows candy better? So no, I don't think they taste like candy, and I'll have my carrots raw, thank you very much!

But a few years ago this recipe was shared with me on a message board. I don't recall where it originated: either Better Homes & Garden or a Betty Crocker cookbook. Either way, I can happily say I now eat cooked carrots. And the use of fresh dill, well, it just tastes like summer. (And making this recipe in colder weather is a nice treat when you're longing for the warmer days of the summer months.)

Carrots with Dill Butter
Makes 4 servings>

Ingredients:
  • 1 16-oz. package baby carrots
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, or 1/2 teaspoon dried dillweed
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan cook carrots, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for about 10 minutes or until tender; drain.
  2. Stir in butter, dill, lemon juce, salt and pepper into carrots. Toss to lightly coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment