Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Refreshing

Many know I love to cook, but the truth is I got my start as a baker. Cookies, cakes, cupcakes ... I am quite a good baker. When we go to parties and holiday gatherings I'm charged with bringing dessert, sometimes even asked to bring specific dishes. There's just one problem, though. Who wants to bake in the summer?

I found this recipe in Southern Cooking & Lifestyles magazine back when my husband and I were living in our apartment in Clifton, NJ. Once again I was asked to bring dessert to a family gathering. This time it was a 4th of July picnic. It was very hot in our apartment in the summer, and the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven. So I pulled out this recipe, deciding it was the perfect time to give it a try.

It got rave reviews! It was light, refreshing, and the perfect combination of sweet and tart. And best of all, I didn't have to turn on the oven.

Peaches 'n Cream Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie

Ingredients:
    Crust:
  • 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs, crushed
  • 1 stick margarine, melted
  • Or substitute prepared graham cracker crust

  • Filling:
  • 1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 pint carton frozen peaches (approximately 2 cups, partially thawed)
  • 8 oz. container frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions:
    Crust:
  1. Combine crumbs and margarine with a fork then press into 9-inch pie pan and chill.

  2. Filling:
  3. Blend condensed milk and lemon juice until smooth.
  4. Puree frozen peaches into a blender for a few seconds until smooth.
  5. Pour peaches into milk mixture and blend well.
  6. Fold in dessert topping with spoon and pour into chilled pie crust.
  7. Chill until filling sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment