Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sugar and Spice, and Everything Nice

I had pleasure of discovering sugar plums this summer at my farmer's market. It was one of my regular Saturday visits when I spied the small containers filled with those precious jewels. I had never had sugar plums before, but my husband likes plums and I thought they would be a nice treat.

And oh what a treat they were!

Sweet, succulent, delicious. I couldn't get enough. And as delicious as they were on their own, my mind immediately started spinning. What could I do with these?

So I halved a plum, removing the pit. I placed a small gorgonzola crumble in the indentation where the pit had been. Then I placed a glazed pecan on top, and popped it into my mouth.

Oh, it was heaven!

The perfect contrast of sweet and tart, of soft and crunch.

The only downside? They have a short season. (So get them while the gettin's good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment