Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just like Grandma's ... I Think

Believe it or not, I've never had chicken and dumplings. It was just something my mom never made, for whatever reason. But on a visit to my parents' house a month ago, I flipped through my mom's slow cooker cookbook. In there was a recipe for chicken and dumplings. It looked super simple, and I knew I had to give it a try.

Now, seeing as how I've never had chicken and dumplings before I can't say whether or not this recipe was "just like Grandma's." But I can say it was absolutely delicious, and I can't wait to make it again.

Like Grandma's Chicken & Dumplings

Recipe from Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes
Makes 4 to 6 servings


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked chicken
  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 2 soup cans water
  • 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 can buttermilk biscuits

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients, except biscuits, in crock pot.
  2. Cut biscuits into quarters and gently stir into mixture. Cover; cook on low 4 to 6 hours.

Notes from the Chef:
1. If you don't have leftover cooked chicken on hand, poach some. Dark meat works best for this dish.
2. I used one envelope of low-sodium chicken bouillon granules. It's a little less than 2 teaspoons, but the dish still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment