Sunday, October 30, 2011

A New Twist on an Old Favorite

Inspiration can come from anywhere. And on Columbus Day, it came from a loaf of bread.

My family was doing some shopping at The Crossing Premium Outlets in Tannersville and I made a quick stop at the Pepperidge Farm storm. There, next to the cinnamon raisin bread, I saw loaves of pumpkin spice bread. And I immediately knew what I would make for our next big Sunday breakfast.

This time of year, I love to use pumpkin, and I had already been contemplating how I would make pumpkin french toast. When I saw this bread in the store I knew I had to give it a try using this bread. And it did not disappoint. Have some for breakfast with a cup of pumpkin mochaccino.

Pumpkin French Toast
A Country Cooking Original

Ingredients:
  • 6 slices Pepperidge Farm Spiced Pumpkin bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • milk
  • powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:
  1. Beat eggs. Add pumpkin spice, pumpkin puree, extract and milk. Whisk until smooth.
  2. Dip bread into batter.
  3. Cook on buttered griddle.
  4. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.


Variations: If you can't find pumpkin spice bread you could use regular cinnamon bread instead. I've also seen cranberry bread in my supermarket, and that would be a delicious option, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment