Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Sip of Autumn

When the calendar turns, the leaves begin to change, and a chill sets in the air, I typically start thinking of turning on the oven and all the baked goods to make. But just because summer is over doesn't always mean we're through with warmer weather. Take today for instance. Sure, it was 46 degrees at 9 AM, but now it's in the upper 70s and it couldn't be a more beautiful day.

But not the kind of day you turn on the oven.

So, what do you do for a sweet fix? You make this great, quick recipe from the October issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray.

I have an addiction to October and November issues of magazines. I look forward to the ones I subscribe to, and I buy the issues of magazines that don't end up in my mailbox. So when my mom handed me this issue of Every Day, I couldn't wait to ear-mark all the recipes I would want to make. My som and I flipped through the issue together, using post-its to mark the pages of recipes we wanted to try. And the Apple Cider Floats was at the top of that list.

It was easy, delicious, and the perfect treat for a warm October day. I think the fact that the apple cider came fresh from the farmer's market makes this drink that much more delicious. I didn't have caramel sauce on hand, so I used caramel apple dip instead. I used the vanilla ice cream the recipe calls for, but caramel ice cream would be great as well. We have a few more warm days in our forecast before the rain returns, so take the opportunity to give this sweet treat of a beverage a try!

Apple Cider Float
Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups apple cider
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 cup vanilla ice cream
  • 1 tablespoon caramel sauce
  • grated nutmeg

Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, heat cider with cinnamon stick. Pour cider into 2 float glasses.
  2. Top with ice cream, caramel sauce, and grating of nutmeg. Serve with spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment