Sunday, October 9, 2011

Perfect Pancakes

Growing up I didn't eat a lot of squash. My mom is not really a fan, so zucchini, summer squash, spaghetti squash, and the like never made it to our table. In fact, the only squash that made it onto our table was pumpkin, typically in the form of pie or bread. So when you grow up eating those sweet delicacies, it's no surprise pumpkin is your favorite gourd.

Autumn is so beautiful here in the Poconos, and it inspired me to use pumpkin outside of baking. These pancakes by Martha Stewart are the perfect way to incorporate pumpkin into breakfast. The first time I made them I followed the recipe exactly, and I found them to be quite heavy. After comparing the recipe to my dad's recipe for pancakes -- which always come out light and fluffy -- I concluded Martha's recipe was missing baking soda.

And with one alteration ... Perfecto! The perfect pumpkin pancakes recipe was born!

Pumpkin Pancakes
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart Living
Makes 8 to 10


Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • pinch of ground cloves
  • 1 cup milk
  • 6 tablespoons canned pumpkin purée
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 egg

Directions:
  1. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, pumpkin purée, butter and egg. Fold mixture into dry ingredients.
  3. Melt some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side.
  4. Serve with butter and syrup.

If you want to go the extra mile and serve up a truly delectable autumn breakfast, sprinkle some chopped, toasted pecans on top. Yum!



My son loved his, too!


I like to make the batter the night before. It helps it thicken up, and then we can make pancakes as soon as we wake up in the morning -- which is exactly when my son wants them.

No comments:

Post a Comment