Thursday, August 30, 2012

Julia Child, I Am Not

I am many things. I am a daughter, sister, wife, and mother. And I am a good home cook.

But Julia Child I am not.

So even though I would like to make her French Onion Soup, I just don't have the skill level or the time. So instead I pull out my slow cooker, taking the ultimate shortcut.

And while Julia may have been able to taste the difference, it was excellent to this home cook.

The flavor truly is rich, and the wine adds depth. I know mozzarella is the traditional cheese to top this soup with, but the sharpness of the Provolone is a wonderful compliment to the sweetness of the onions.

So go ahead and make this soup. It may not be fancy or traditional like Julia's, but we don't always need fancy, just down-home good.

Rich French Onion Soup

Recipe modified from Taste of Home
Makes 10 servings

Ingredients:

  • 6 large onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 6 cans (10.5 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 10 slices French bread, toasted
  • 10 slices Provolone cheese

Directions:

  1. In a large skillet, saut&eatue; onions in butter until crisp-tender. Add wine to pan to deglaze and let reduce. Transfer to an ungreased 5-quart slow cooker. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves.
  2. Cover and cook on low 5 - 7 hours or until the onions are tender. Discard bay leaves.
  3. Turn on broiler. Ladle soup into oven-proof crock. Add toast and top with slice of Provolone cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment