Friday, September 14, 2012

Failure #1

Seems odd to blog about a failure, doesn't it? There are so many blogs out there highlighting delicious recipes and using photos to demonstrate the methods and beauty of the final result.

So why blog failure?

Well, why not?

We all have them. It would be unrealistic to think with all the blogs and all the recipes that have been made, none of them have failed. So I decided it was time for honesty, time to show how recipes can go horribly wrong.

Time to share my mistakes so someone other than myself could learn from them.

Recipe on trial: Italian Sausage Lasagna, made in the slow cooker

Reason for failure: edges burned, badly

What I did: I followed the recipe -- mostly. While the recipe didn't specify, I used no-boil lasagna noodles.

The big difference this attempt and my usual slow cooker meals is that I did not use a slow cooker liner. I thought the lasagna wouldn't be stable and upon cutting I would risk plastic getting into the serving. So instead, I sprayed the insert with cooking spray.

Clearly that wasn't enough, though. I suspect the problem with this recipe is the cooking time. It says to cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, but the edges were badly burned by hour 6. I think the cooking time should be decreased to 4 to 5 hours on LOW.

I was ready to attempt this recipe again at the decreased time to see if it would yield better results, but my husband nixed that idea. He thinks it would just be easier to make a traditional lasagna.

And on second thought, I'm inclined to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment