Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Going Dutch

It's that time of year. Scour the food blogs and everyone is posting their fall favorites. Muffins, crisps, and pies. Pumpkin and apples. You name it, there's a recipe for it. Heck, I'm no different. I have a section of my blog devoted to pumpkin, my very favorite gourd.

So when my mom and were planning an autumn Sunday dinner, there was no shortage of dessert recipes in my arsenal to choose from. Despite that, I decided to try something new: Dutch Apple Pie.

This pie is so good. How good, you ask? Good enough that my mom asked me for the recipe on the spot. And I wrote it down for her before I left for the evening. Yup, it was that easy that I could write it down from memory, having only made it once.

Easy and delicious? Certainly makes it a winner in my book!

Dutch Apple Pie

Recipe from Taste of Home
Yield: 6-8 servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted
    FILLING:
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 1/4 cups cold water
  • 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, oats and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set pie plate aside.
  2. For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water in a large saucepan until smooth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in apples and vanilla. Pour into crust; top with reserved crumb mixture.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment