Sunday, February 10, 2013

We All Need More Carrot Cake

Many years ago, at my bridal shower, this recipe was given to me by a member of husband's family. I put in one of my homemade cookbooks -- a binder full of recipes -- and would think "I should make this" when I flipped through the dessert section. But for whatever reason, I never did.

Then this fall, with extra carrots in my vegetable drawer and my parents on their way to visit us, I finally decided to bite the bullet and make this cake. Now I'm horribly embarrassed I waited so long! This cake is so delicious!! It's so moist, thanks to the applesauce and pineapple. It has a wonderful gourmet-like sweetness, thanks to the vanilla extract. And the cinnamon gives it such warmth.

I know carrot cakes are popular for Easter. But truthfully, I think this cake is perfect for the fall and winter months. The flavors warm you up from the inside out, and offer the comfort we look for in food during the colder months. So don't wait until the bunny comes hoppin' down the trail to make this cake. Make it now, before the weather gets warm.

Carrot Cake
Recipe from Country Cooking's Family

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 1/4 cups sifted flour
  • 1/2 cup nuts or raisins
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

  1. Grease and flour 8" square pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream oil, sugar, and eggs.
  3. Add drained pineapple and grated carrots. Mix batter until well blended.
  4. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. Add to creamed mixture, and mix until well blended.
  5. Add vanilla and chopped nuts or raisins. Mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.
  6. Pour batter into pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

Note from the Kitchen: This is a deliciously moist cake that tastes good with a simple sugar frosting. It's delicious with a cream cheese or buttercream frosting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment