Wednesday, July 9, 2014

An Excellent Start to the Day

When my son started eating solid food all those years ago, I was faced with the same challenge as all mothers: what can I give my kid that he/she will like and is healthy? Breakfast being the most important meal of the day, we immediately introduced him to scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, and waffles.

He loved waffles. So much so that I could easily go through a box in a week, especially if my husband or I wanted one. So one day my mother asked, "why don't you make extra and freeze them like you do the pancakes?" Simple answer: I didn't have a waffle maker.

That Christmas a waffle maker was wrapped under the tree for me, and I have been using it nearly every weekend since.

Of course the trick was finding the right waffle recipe. The maker is actually a Belgium waffle maker, and was given to me with a canister of Belgium waffle mix. I used it, because I had it, but none of us were completely enamored with it. So it was time to scour the Internet in search of a recipe.

I found one on allrecipes.com, and I have been making it for years now -- when I'm not making pumpkin waffles in the fall, that is. These are a hit with the family, and quite versatile. We make them plain; with chocolate chips; serve them with berries, honey, and whipped cream; with nutella, strawberries, and whipped cream; with homemade cranberry sauce in the fall; or straight up with maple syrup. And sometimes in the summer, we'll make the leftover batter in the evenings and serve with ice cream.

Forget Reese's! There's no wrong way to have a waffle!

Homemade Waffles
Recipe from allrecipes.com
Makes 6 belgium waffles

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Beat eggs in a large bowl until fluffy.
  2. Beat in flour, milk, canola oil, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla just until smooth.
  3. Preheat waffle iron.
  4. Cook according ton waffle iron's instructions.

Note from the Kitchen: My son's favorite way to have these waffles is with strawberries and whipped cream. They also freeze beautifully. I make extra every Sunday and freeze them for us to enjoy throughout the week, instead on the ones from the freezer aisle of the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment