Tuesday, July 29, 2014

BLD -- Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch or Dinner

It was a typical weekend, filled with errands, laundry, and my favorite Food Network shows. I inevitably see at least one recipe I would like to try and make, but it's rare that I feel the need to rush out and get the ingredients for that dish.

But this recipe is the exception to the rule.

I am not the biggest of quiche fans -- too much egg for me. But this recipe only has 3 eggs. I can manage that! So I tired my had at this recipe the following week.

Part of the reason it appealed to me so much is because it is so versatile. You could serve it for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. I served it for dinner, much to everyone's delight. It was a hit with me, my husband, and my 6-year-old son. I added the bell pepper for some sweetness and color. I traded the green onions for a shallot. You can easily substitute your favorite greens for the spinach. And you can up the ante on the savoriness by swapping out the sweet sausage for hot. You're limited only by your imagination!

But, regardless if you follow the recipe to a T, use the same modifications I did, or mix it up entirely, this dish will not disappoint.

So what are you waiting for? Get cookin'!

Sausage, Spinach, and Potato Tart

Recipe modified from Nancy Fuller
Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:

  • Frozen tart shell or pie crust
  • 1 small Yukon gold potato, finely diced
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 ounces bulk mild or sweet Italian pork sausage
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 shallot, diced
  • 3 cups fresh baby spinach
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup grated smoked provolone

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Add the potatoes to a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a big pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook the potatoes until tender but still with a bit of resistance, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool.
  3. Lightly drizzle the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, and cook, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until crumbly and browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the shallot and bell pepper, and saute until soft. Add the spinach by the handful and stir until it just wilts down. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove to a bowl to cool.
  4. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and stir in the milk. Whisk together until combined and then add some salt and pepper.
  5. Remove the tart shell or pie crust from the freezer. Cover the top with parchment paper and add pie weights or dried beans. Place on a sheet tray and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the pie weights and parchment paper and continue baking for 10 minutes more.
  6. Turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
  7. Evenly sprinkle the par-baked crust with half of the grated cheese, then the cooked potatoes, and finally top with the sausage and spinach mixture. Pour the eggs over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes. If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, cover the edges with a ring of aluminum foil.
  8. Cool the tart for 10 minutes before serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Note from the cook: I used a frozen pie crust, but if you have a favorite crust or tart shell recipe, you can certainly make it from scratch.

No comments:

Post a Comment