Sunday, January 17, 2016

Not My Mom's Waffles

My son and I have two things in common: we love chai tea, and we don't eat a wide variety of breakfast foods. Sure, we'll eat pancakes, waffles, and french toast. We will have yogurt with fruit, or a bowl of cereal, or a bagel from time to time. But unlike my husband, we can do without eggs. In fact, the only way we eat eggs is when my husband makes his breakfast burrito, which is big of flavor but not the healthiest of dishes. So what'sa mom and son to do?

I have found coming up with variations of our favorite standards is key to preventing breakfast to becoming boring. For instance, in 2014 we added a fruit wrap to the morning rotation. In the summer I love to add berries and fresh ricotta to our usual pancakes. In the fall pumpkin becomes the star, and we add my favorite gourd to both pancakes and waffles.

And Sunday morning, I was looking to mix it up again.

Last Sunday, as a treat, I made these chai cupcakes I found I Taste of Home's Facebook page. My son and I, being the huge fans of chai that we are, LOVED them. So Sunday morning I had a stroke of inspiration: add the flavors of chai to our waffles. I asked my son if he was game, and he was willing to give it a try. And they did not disappoint! In fact, my son said, "I could eat these forever!"

It looks like I found another way to keep breakfast interesting.

Chai Waffles
A Country Cooking Original
Makes 8-12 square waffles

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    For serving:
  • maple syrup
  • whipped cream
  • cinnamon sugar

Directions:

  1. Beat eggs in a large bowl until fluffy.
  2. Beat in flour, milk, canola oil, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla just until smooth.
  3. Preheat waffle iron.
  4. Cook according ton waffle iron's instructions.
  5. Serve topped with maple syrup, whipped cream, and cinnamon sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment